I’m currently working on a better understanding of the state of carbon dioxide removal with respect to public perception and deployments by synthesising the research landscape, fusing datasets, and analysing social media data as part of the ERC-funded Horizon 2020 “GENIE” project and BMBF-funded “CDRSynTra” project in the APSIS group at MCC.
Random things about me
- I drove my old T4 bus through the Sahara desert as part of the charity rally Budapest - Bamako.
- I studied in Swansea (Wales, UK) for one semester in 2014 and afterwards joined the London-based startup “RefME”.
- I did quite okay in triathlon races (apart from swimming) - even won a mid distance relay triathlon (94k cycling in sub 2.5h) in 2012. There is a list of all results.
- I cycled 4700km through Germany, Switzerland and France in 2010.
- I did the winter ToughGuy in 2009.
- I travelled through Tibet in 2007.
- I worked on many projects over the years.
I studied computer science and like making sense of heterogeneous datasets: Extracting salient information, mining semi-structured data, and representing it in a comprehensive way to gain new insights.
- 2022 - Dr. rer. nat. at the Hasso Plattner Institute, Potsdam University
Thesis: Machine-learning-assisted Corpus Exploration and Visualisation
- 2016 - Master of Science in Computer Science at Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin
Thesis: Extraction of Citation Data from Websites based on Visual Cues
- 2014 - Bachelor of Science in Computer Science at Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin
Thesis: Privacy-preserving duplicate-free counting of TOR users
Some of my project pages at HPI are copied here. (under construction)
Supervision of theses
- Finding correleations between text, company networks, and stock prices over time
(Kellermeier, April 2019, published at MIDAS@ECML/PKDD 2019)
- Evaluation of diachronic and multi-sense embeddings on sustainability research papers
(Fischer, January 2020)
- What do these two books have in common? – Multi-Aspect Embeddings for Fiction Novels
(Kohlmeyer, May 2021, published at WI-IAT 2021)
- Deep Learning for Rap Lyrics Generation Conditioned on Rhythm and Flow
(Danz, June 2021)
- Modeling the Evolution of Language Using Word Co-occurrences
(Schwanhold, October 2021, published at LChange@ACL 2021)
Teaching (at HPI)
- SoSe 2020 – Information Retrieval (Bachelor lecture, Exercises)
- SoSe 2020 – Solving the Climate Crisis with Text Mining (Project seminar, Master, together with MCC)
- WiSe 2019 – Data Engineering und Data Science (OpenHPI course, Teaching team)
- WiSe 2019 – Informationsintegration (Master lecture, Exercises)
- WiSe 2019 – Genealogy of Natural Language (Masterproject)
- WiSe 2019 / SoSe 2020 – Museumserlebnisse mit Datenanalyse optimieren (Bachelorproject)
- SoSe 2019 – Text Visualisation in Practice (Project seminar, Master)
- SoSe 2019 – What‘s in a Life? Representing Vitae in 1000 Dimensions (Masterproject)
- WiSe 2018 – Social Network Analysis in Practice (Project seminar, Master)
- WiSe 2018 – Recommender Systems (Master seminar, Co-Supervision)
- WiSe 2018 – Deep Learning for Text Mining (Master lecture, Tutor)
- WiSe 2017 / SoSe 2018 – Leuchtturm im Datennebel - Exploration großer Dokumentensammlungen (Bachelorproject)
- SoSe 2017 – Recommender Systems (Master seminar, Co-Supervision)
- SoSe 2017 – Text Mining (Bachelor seminar, Co-Supervision)